The SWIS Suite is a reliable, confidential, web-based information system to collect, summarize, and use student behavior data for decision making. Research tells us educators can make more effective and efficient decisions when they have the right data in the right form at the right time. SWIS provides school personnel with the information they need to be successful decision makers.
For more than a decade, SWIS Suite has assisted teams to improve their internal decision making and overall support plan design for individual students and their families. The three SWIS applications, SWIS, CICO-SWIS, and ISIS-SWIS, align with a PBIS framework and provide the needed data for both universal screening as well as progress monitoring.
Jump to a section: SWIS CICO-SWIS ISIS-SWIS The SWIS Facilitator
School-Wide Information System (SWIS)
Through SWIS, school staff enter office discipline referrals online. The data are summarized to provide information about individual students, groups of students, or the entire student body over any time period.
The reports available within SWIS allow teams to:
- Review school-wide referral patterns: The five basic reports in SWIS frame the context within which problem behaviors occur at school helping teams to answer these questions:
- How often do referrals occur?
- What problem behaviors occur most frequently in our building?
- Where are problem behaviors most likely to occur?
- When are problem behaviors most likely to occur?
- Which students are involved in referrals?
- Define behavior patterns in greater detail: Eight other reports allow teams to dive into the data, getting more detailed information about specific questions related to the overall school-wide patterns. Using these reports, teams can look at disproportionality by ethnicity, detailed information about individual students’ referral patterns and year-end reports to guide action planning for the upcoming school year.
Check-In Check-Out (CICO-SWIS)
CICO-SWIS provides school staff with an online space to enter CICO point card data easily and efficiently online. Data are summarized across five reports allowing teams to:
- Monitor individual student progress: Three reports give teams a way to see
- If each student is meeting his/her goals each day.
- How each student is doing at each check-in period.
- The overall impact of plan changes made throughout the course of the intervention.
- The impact of the intervention on each student’s office discipline referral count.
- Review the overall integrity and fidelity of the program: Targeted (Tier II) and Universal (Tier I) teams can review two graphs in CICO-SWIS to see:
- Overall student progress in the targeted intervention.
- Overall effectiveness of the CICO intervention in the school.
Individual Student Information System (ISIS-SWIS)
ISIS-SWIS completes the comprehensive, three-tiered information system by focusing data entry to Intensive (Tier III) interventions for individual students. ISIS-SWIS is a decision system for students receiving more intensive supports for academic, social, or mental health services. Teams using ISIS-SWIS can:
- Define data collection measures: Teams tailor ISIS-SWIS to each student’s file to effectively monitor the student’s specific outcomes as well as the overall fidelity of the plan. Each individualized plan is setup across the following fields:
- Number of measures
- Team member access to the data
- Measure details
- Data collection schedule
- Reporting options
- Plan change history and notes
- Upload and store documentation: ISIS-SWIS supports compliance with federal procedures around Tier III support by supplying teams with a place to store all documentation related to a student’s plan. Teams can coordinate assessment and support plan development in a single place.
- Summarize data for decision making: ISIS-SWIS brings together the goals and objectives from a student’s support plan into a comprehensive student file allowing for quality decision making. Team members can enter all data efficiently keeping all records current and enabling a timely review.
The SWIS Facilitator
Experience has shown if your school, district, region, or state has committed to providing discipline information to teams, then investment must be made to build the capacity to use these tools efficiently. SWIS Facilitators are the key to transform and sustain SWIS as a functional information system influencing how your school supports student behavior.
The facilitator you choose is a local resource for all of your school’s application-related questions. Facilitators walk schools through the process of getting SWIS, CICO-SWIS, or ISIS-SWIS by completing readiness requirements, submitting account paperwork, conducting initial training, and providing on-going support. Facilitators can be certified to train schools in one, two, or all three of the applications within the SWIS Suite. A list of all certified facilitators ready to help you get started is available through the Find a Facilitator tool.
We certify facilitators at trainings across the country throughout the year. If you are unable to locate a facilitator who is local to your school, we encourage you to send someone from your district or regional office to become a certified facilitator for your building as well as those around you. For more information on who should become a facilitator as well as a list of upcoming training opportunities for any of our applications, please visit our training section.