Getting to the end of the year, there are a few things you and your schools can do now to avoid extra headaches at the beginning of next year. Here are four Spring cleaning tasks to get your SWIS accounts Fall-ready.
Update Student and Staff Rosters:
Take a look at your student and staff lists. For anyone who is no longer in your building by the end of the year, set one of two status options: Inactive or Archived. Which one do you choose?
- Inactive: The person is not currently associated with the school, but may return. For example, transfer students, staff on leave.
- Archived: The person is not currently associated with the school and will not return. For example, graduating students, retired staff.
To change a person’s status in Person Management:
Here’s a great tip from our Customer Support team: Want a quick way to archive all your graduating students in Person Management? Sort your roster by grade level! Because grade levels reset for all students at the beginning of the school year, this trick only works now at the end of the school year. Here’s how to do it:
- In the student list, hover your cursor in the column header labeled Name
- Click the black arrow on the right-hand side of the header.
- Point your cursor over Columns.
- Click to check the box next to Grade.
- A new Grade column appears displaying each student's grade level. Click the Grade column header twice to sort the student list from the highest grade to the lowest.
- Check the box next to each graduating student and set their status to Archived.
To change many statuses with Person Import
You can use Person Import to update many records all at once. In your next import, be sure to include a status column in the import file. Simply identify which records to update with either an Inactive or Archived status in the file. People whose status will remain the same can be left blank.
Remove User Access
In addition to updating the status of students or staff who have moved on from your school, you’ll want to remove any users who should no longer have access to your school’s SWIS account. Schools can do this for any Referral Entry Only user who no longer needs that access. To do remove Referral Entry Only users:
- Click Tools then User Management.
- Clicking to check the box next to a Referral Entry Only user to remove
- Click the red Remove Referral Entry Only Access button at the top of the list.
- If the user has any draft referrals pending, those referrals need to be deleted or assigned for review before you can remove their access.
All other access levels, such as Data Entry, SWIS Admin or Data Analyst, will have to be removed by the SWIS facilitator.
Delete or Save Pending Draft Referrals
By the time the year is over, no one should have any referrals requiring their review or additional information. Check to see if you have any referrals assigned to you by going to Tools and clicking on Referral Management. Delete or complete any referral listed there so you start with a clean slate in the fall.
Correct any Data Integrity errors:
The longer you go without cleaning up your account’s data integrity, the more likely you are to accumulate a pile of errors affecting your school’s SWIS reports. One way to know if you have errors requiring your attention is to pay attention to the Data Integrity Summary box displayed at the top of your SWIS Dashboard. Any errors such involving School Enrollment or School Days may affect SWIS reports, so it’s important to fix those before doing any end-of-year reporting.