You spend so much time entering data into SWIS, it’s only right that you should be able to download it whenever you want. We’ve always given you a way to export your referral data and now, you can export your student and staff records, too.
The SWIS Person Export feature does exactly what its name implies: It lets you export your student and staff rosters on demand into a spreadsheet. On its own, Person Export gives you access to the demographic data associated with every record. It also gives you a fully formatted file compatible with the SWIS Person Import feature.
That’s a big deal, and here’s why.
Every year there are changes to be made to your student and staff lists:
- Students graduate or switch schools
- Staff members change their last names
- New students and staff members join your school
- Sometimes everyone gets a new email address
The list of possible mass changes you need to make goes on and on. You could take the time to update the information one at a time within SWIS, or you could update everyone all at once. When we’re talking about more than a couple of updates, the choice feels pretty clear.
With Person Export, you choose which students or staff members to include in your export. Once you have the file, you can use the tools in your spreadsheet to filter and sort to your heart’s content. When you’re ready, go ahead and make the changes you need to make to each record: Update the statuses. Change the email addresses. Add the new folks. Then save it.
Voila! You’re ready to import. If you need a refresher on how to do that, check out our SWIS Suite Person Import Specifications.
We made Person Export available in the Person Import screen for even more efficient access. To get started, from the SWIS Dashboard,
- Head to the Tools menu and click Person Import. NOTE: If your school hasn’t enabled the Person Import tool, you’ll need to do so in order to access Person Export.
- Select which list you’d like to export – student or staff – by clicking the associated button.
- Select which student or staff – active, inactive, and/or archived – to include in the file.
- Click Export.
If you’re looking for more information on how to incorporate Person Export to make mass changes to your student and staff records, check out our quick tutorial.